tatintanzania

I will be flying out to Tanzania for 3 months from the 15th Feb to 10th May. When I am in Tanzania I will be mainly in a Primary School working with disabled children. This will be in a south western region near Mbeya by Lake Malawi.

Monday, February 28, 2005

Iringa

Thankfully the Physio was keen on letting me come into the hospital and is giving me some training so that I can help more with the physio side of things when I go down to the school in Katumba. I have really enjoyed being in the physio department-although some of their methods would definately not be allowed in the UK! One of the most painful experiences so far has been with an eight yr old boy who fractured his elbow and now has contracture so his elbow has stayed bent, and as the physios do not have any sedatives they have to force his arm straight in order to put a cast on it. The boy was crying and screaming and had to be restrained by his dad and the other physio! thankfully my physio wasnt quite so harsh with my elbow!
I will be working at the hospital for the rest of this week and then will travel to the school in Katumba at the weekend.

5 Comments:

  • At February 28, 2005 at 4:43 AM, Blogger Robin Baddeley said…

    Yeah, saw a lot of contracture on the mercy ship, and the nurses carrying out similar stretches....nasty!

    Robin xx

     
  • At February 28, 2005 at 5:20 AM, Blogger Jonty said…

    Hey Tat,
    Hope everything's going well at the school.
    mum told me you've moved into a baptist compound or something- hope that's better than the Hotel you were staying in.
    lots of love
    jonts

     
  • At February 28, 2005 at 9:24 AM, Blogger aba said…

    hey tat, so glad to hear you're getting on and making progress; i'll be sure to keep myself updated with your news! xoxo aba

     
  • At March 1, 2005 at 11:02 AM, Blogger The Baddeley's said…

    Hey Tat,
    feels like I only just saw you round at ours the other day. I hope you are having a really interesting time out there. Oh, and don't worry I won't quiz you any more on the Junior School. I'm happy that your not still there though.
    love Julian xxxx

     
  • At March 5, 2005 at 2:53 PM, Blogger david said…

    hey tat,
    hope everything is going well with your physiotherapy, thanks for the card and hope to hear from you soon

     

Post a Comment

<< Home