tatintanzania

I will be flying out to Tanzania for 3 months from the 15th Feb to 10th May. When I am in Tanzania I will be mainly in a Primary School working with disabled children. This will be in a south western region near Mbeya by Lake Malawi.

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Tukuyu

After spending last weekend in Mbeya with a very nice family I was slightly reluctant to return to Tukuyu. However, on the monday morning I met Charlotte, a Dutch girl who is doing some research at the school for her thesis at Uni. We were both so pleased to meet each other so that we would not be alone anymore and decided to share a house together. We are planning to move in tomorrow-it is a lovely house with garden big rooms etc the only problem is that there is no furniture! We bought mattresses today and have got a little electric stove to cook on so we should be alright!
Last Wednesday we painted the Physio room and I was delighted to see the disabled children painting and enjoying it so much!I had a bit of a fight on my hands to get permission for this as most people immediately dismissed the idea of the children being able to help but in the end we came to an agreement that we would get some painters in to teach them and to complete the second coat to ensure that it looked good! Today we have been rearranging the furniture and trying to get rid of some of the clutter. At the weekend Charlotte and I went to Mbeya to meet her friend and we stayed for a night and spent the following day by the pool of a coutry hotel called Utengule which I used to go 10 years ago!
We also went to a Leprosy village and after meeting some of the lepers and shaking their hands, the Dr we were with asked us if we knew much about Leprosy. He then went on to tell us that it is very contagious and that you can get it through touch and inhalation! So we were slightly angry that he hadnt warned us before! However, after washing our hands and texting some people to find out if this was true, we found that thankfully he wasnt entirely correct!
I will try to use my computer skills developed through many years of ICT lessons to load my pictures onto the web if i fail i will try email and if I am really rubbish you will have to wait until i get back home!!

1 Comments:

  • At April 6, 2005 at 3:02 AM, Blogger Panda said…

    Hey Tat,
    Brilliant to hear from you. Was a little worried at your silence for so long but I put it down to you having so much to do and by the look of your last two entries, I was right. I am glad you having such a good time. All's well here. Getting ready for exams and coursework. I am much more settled and have made lots of new friends so life is pretty good at the moment. I am looking forward to seeing your pictures when you manage to send them or even better, seeing you when you get back. When is that by the way? I am going to Monkton on the 19th of June. It's the Jameson's last year at Nutfield and so Mrs. J asked that I go. Will you be back yet by any chance? Anyway, I'd better go now. I have a lecture. You take care of yourself. God bless.
    Lots and lots of love and a big hug,
    Your friend always,
    Aggie.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home